The journey towards health and well-being is not always an easy path, there are many routes to take, splits in the road and potholes along the way. We have Western Medicine to thank for the eradication of communicable diseases, evidence supporting different health and wellness practices, and surgical implementations that extend our lives, and even save lives.
In addition to Western medicine, there are a variety of alternative medicine therapies. Some are influenced by Eastern methodologies, such as acupuncture, while others were developed in the Western world alongside the trajectory of Western medicine.
Homeopathy is one such alternative medicine that has gained popularity and mounting evidence for its usefulness and efficacy. Before we discuss how it works and its benefits, let’s first discover what it is.
What is Homeopathy?
Homeopathy is an alternative medicine, meaning that it is different from treatments you might receive in the hospital or at your doctor’s office. While developed by a German doctor in the 1790’s named Samuel Hahnemann, homeopathy is not a part of traditional Western medicine.
It is a natural form of medicine used to treat temporary and persistent conditions. Recent estimates indicate that over 200 million people worldwide incorporate homeopathy as part of their health, wellness, and well-being regimen.
Homeopathy’s guiding principle is that “like cures like.” For instance, a substance that are known to cause symptoms or reactions in a person can be used in small amounts to reduce or remove those symptoms. In homeopathic treatments, people who suffer from allergies, for example, are exposed to allergens in small doses to foster tolerance. Whereas in Western medicine, an antihistamine might be prescribed for allergies, homeopathy seeks treatment in limited exposure to that which causes an allergic reaction.
In simple terms, homeopathy leverages the body’s innate healing potential to overcome temporary and chronic conditions.
How Does Homeopathy Work?
With the goal of stimulating the body’s healing ability, homeopathic remedies are made from substances with this notion in mind. Another principle of homeopathy is based on a process where these remedies are prepared through dilution and vigorous shaking.
Homeopaths approach your wellness in a similar fashion that traditional doctors would. In addition to asking about symptoms, a homeopath will take a holistic approach to learn about you as a person and how your ailments affect your life. A homeopath will inquire about your medical history, your lifestyle, and your psychological affect before administering a homeopathic therapy.
Does homeopathy work?
Homeopathy has been safely in practice for well over 200 years. Millions of people have experienced great results with homeopathic practices as it has helped alleviate allergies, migraines, ear infections, depression and anxiety, high blood pressure, hay fever, and more.
What are the Benefits of Homeopathy?
Because homeopathy has history as a healing tradition, it is now the most widely accepted holistic therapy worldwide. Here are just a few of the benefits of homeopathic treatment:
- Homeopathy is safe. Homeopathic remedies are very diluted as a result of the process by which they are created. The method behind homeopathic treatment is to expose in small amounts to activate the body’s healing response. Other than the effects the source substance can elicit, homeopathy has no side effects.
- Homeopathy is a natural medicine. Since it is based on treating “like with like,” homeopathy relies on the body’s natural defenses and healing properties. Many remedies are derived of plants, animals, and minerals.
- Homeopathy builds resistance over time. After the body’s healing response has been activated, resilience and resistance build at the root level, keeping symptoms and conditions at bay and even eliminating them altogether.
- Homeopathy is widely tolerated. People at any stage of life can take homeopathic remedies. From children to pregnant women, to the elderly, homeopathy is tolerated well and beneficial to all people exploring its healing properties. There is no risk of toxicity or adverse side effects.
- Homeopathy will not disrupt other bodily functions. Antibiotics and other medicines tend to hamper digestion, or decrease immune response, or produce allergic reactions. Homeopathic remedies are safe for long term use when taken as directed by a qualified homeopath.
Why Should I Consider Homeopathy?
Homeopathy can be used in conjunction with conventional medicines to treat a wide range of illnesses and conditions. It can even be used where conventional medicine has failed. It’s natural sources and its quest to activate our bodies’ natural defenses and healing properties, makes it ideal for anyone searching for a more holistic approach to their health and wellness.
Homeopathy is easily accessible to anyone. Many useful guides are available online for less serious conditions, or for those giving homeopathy a try for the first time. However, we strongly urge you to talk with your doctor and find a reputable and qualified homeopathic practitioner for more serious health concerns. At Seity, we’re fortunate enough to have Simon Taffer as part of our team of practioners ready to support you to achieve your optimal health.